Sunday, February 3, 2013

Makeup Brush Cleaner

When I bought my first make up brush from a department store the lady at the counter told me to just wash it with mild soap and warm water every few weeks.  I have been doing this ever since and it seemed to work just fine. But of course I can't resist testing a new method when I see one.

It was another one of those pins that gives you all the details on the pin itself and when I clicked on it I was directed to spam. So here is the information from the pin.

Makeup Brush Cleaner
How to properly clean your makeup brushes. A tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup of hot water, and a 20 minute soak, followed by a hot, then cold rinse and pat dry will do it. Disinfects, dissolves grease/makeup, leaves no film, and inexpensive.

I grabbed my brushes that are now kept under lock and key since my two year old insists they are her paint brushes, then grabbed 4 individual glasses so i could see how much makeup came off of each one

Not wanting to miss a chance to see how well this method actually works, I grabbed the brush that gets the most use and washed it with soap and water (my normal routine) until the water ran clear.

I put the brushes in their glasses then went off to enjoy a wonderful game of 'house' with my kids.  This is a game that my son invented a few months ago.  My kids put me to bed then they go to 'meetings' while I 'sleep'.  They are usually in their 'meetings' for about 10 minutes then come back and tell me it's morning time.  10 whole minutes where I get to lay down kid free with zero guilt because in their minds I'm still playing with them.

About 20 min later I came back and the glasses looked exactly the same as the photo above.  So I grabbed each brush and swirled it around and tapped it on the bottom of the glass.  All sorts of disgustingness came out. When no more brown liquid came squirting out of the brushes I rinsed them in hot then cold water and set them out to dry.


The Verdict: This is another amazing DIYer.  I think it's fairly obvious which brushes I use the most.  


What really amazed me is how much makeup came out of the one that I thought was clean from the soap and water scrub I gave it right before. 
My brushes dried just fine and they work great.  It is like they are brand new.


2 comments:

  1. Just FYI when you soak brushes never fully sock the ferrule. The metal band that binds the bristles or hair of a brush to its handle. It will loosen the glue holding hairs over time. Hope it helps, love the vinegar mixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I didn't know that. I probably would have gotten really annoyed when my brushes started to fall apart.

      Delete