Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Final Attempt To Get Long Hair

After my disastrous attempt to grow my hair with apple cider vinegar, and the disgusting attempt with potatoes, I was really hoping that the "third times a charm" saying would apply to my final attempt to grow my hair faster.

Use Onion Water for That Fab Long Hair
You might not think that onions can be used for anything except cooking, but that’s definitely not the case. Boil some onions in water and use the water on your hair — no lie! It’ll make it grow super fast and it’ll give it an awesome sheen that everyone will be jealous of! 

Of course I was not surprised at how vague the instructions are.  Why am I still going to this website?!?!? How much of the onion water should I put on?  How long do I leave it in my hair? Do I put it on wet or dry hair? These are questions that should be addressed when telling someone to pour left over produce water in their hair.


So I did the best I could with the little information I had. I chopped up an onion and boiled it in about 3 cups of water for about 10 minutes.


 Once the water had cooled off, I poured it into a container.  I had a lot of onion water and I was really hoping it would last a while.  I didn't want to boil an onion every time I washed my hair. 

For the next month I used the onion water every time I washed my hair.  I would shampoo and condition like I always do then I would squirt the onion water onto my hair and massage it into my scalp.  I left it on for a few minutes then rinsed it out with warm water.

The Verdict: The first thing i noticed was how soft my hair was. I am a hair twirler by nature and having my hair abnormally soft did not help that habit.  It was really hard to keep my finger away from my hair.   I never did notice a "sheen" to my hair like the website promised but I guess Charlie and Martin were busy. Ba dum bum.

I left the container of onion water in my shower and it lasted anywhere from 7-10 days.  It just depended on how much water I used to boil the onion in and how much I put on my hair.  I kept thinking it might start to mold sitting in my shower, but it never did.  The smell would get a little stronger the longer it sat in the bottle but the smell never stuck to my hair and of course that was a huge relief. I really didn't want to walk around smelling like a pizza place.

But did it work? You betcha!!!!!
Shocked?  So was I. 

Every month, for the last 4 months, I have measured the same three areas on my head.  And every month my hair has grown 3/4 inch.  At the end of the month using onion water my hair had grown 1 inch.  1/4 of an inch isn't a lot of growth, but it's something.

Unfortunately for my hair it's not over,  I have more fun and exciting things to test on my hair. 


20 comments:

  1. This is... this is shocking! I'm flabbergasted! And your hair stayed softer? This is just nuts! What kind of onions did you use (in case it matters)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still shocked. I actually want to do it again in a few months to see if it was just a coincidence. My hair was softer the entire month I did it. Once I stopped using the onions I noticed a difference with the texture of my hair. I used regular white onions.

      Delete
  2. Hey why not work if monistat cream can be put in your hair why not onions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. might have to try this... on my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you notice whether or not you had new growth, or your hair was thicker? My hair is quite fine, and sometimes softer is not always better...although I WILL still be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have new growth, not a lot but some. My hair actually felt thinner while I was using this. I think because it was softer it wasn't as prone to frizz. It didn't last though. About 2 washes after I stopped using the onion water my hair felt like it always did. So you could try it and if it makes your hair to fine then it shouldn't be permanent.

      Delete
  5. Another thing to try is boiling rosemary! Rosemary is really good for multiple things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm confused; did your hair grow 1/4" each month and a total of 1 inch over the 4 months, or did it grow 1" per month? Sorry, but the way I'm reading it, I wasn't sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. My hair is thin around my whole hairline. I am going to try this. It sounds so convincing. I have tried everything else, why not this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or your could try tea tree oil for your hairline... just add a few drops of tea tree oil to your castor oil ( as it must be used with a carrier oil) and use your fingertips to apply all along the hairline... my hairline is back... I am however going to try the onion water for growth all over

      Delete
    2. Someone above mentioned boiling rosemary in water. I have very thin hair and was losing it at the temples. Have been rubbing 5 drops of rosemary oil with mint in the area and the fuzz is coming back in. The rosemary oil also has a wonderful relaxing smell. Yu can also use plain rosemary oil or use it in a carrier oil like castor (greasy) or almond (better).

      Delete
    3. Does it work on African American and Caucasian?

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to try this tomorrow,my hair has completely stopped growing,and I have tryed SO MANY HOME REMEDIES AND GOT ZERO RESULTS :( so I'm praying it works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. also is this Okay to use if u have thin hair? can any of u tell me what can help my hair thicker

    ReplyDelete
  10. also is this Okay to use if u have thin hair? can any of u tell me what can help my hair thicker

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this tomorrow,my hair has completely stopped growing,and I have tryed SO MANY HOME REMEDIES AND GOT ZERO RESULTS :( so I'm praying it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you. I have no idea if it will work on thin hair. My hair is really thick. I didn't notice it any thicker but it was longer.

      Delete
    2. Hi and how is ur thin hair doin thought you would like to know use NOW Castor oil with your shampoo and peppermint oil to wake up ur hair folciles.

      Delete
  12. So I just boiled some Onions and I am just waiting for it to cool, so trying be trying this out on my wash day!

    ReplyDelete