Monday, October 14, 2013

Orange Candle

I have seen two methods for making an orange candle. One way is to place a wick into an empty orange peel, pour in beeswax and tada, a candle inside an orange.  To me the question of that one isn't "will it work" the question is "will you smell the orange?"

The second method is to pour in oil and use the stem in the orange as a wick.  This one seemed a lot more debatable on how well it would work, so I decided to give this one a try first.

Orange Candle
You Will Need:
Orange
Oil

Directions:
Cut an orange in half.  Scoop out the insides while leaving the center core-like them in tact.  Pour in kitchen oil (vegetable, olive, etc) just below the stem.  Light the stem. 

I used a spoon to scoop out the middle and it all came out very easily.  I then left it to dry over night. 
 I poured in some vegetable oil then pushed the stem into the oil to let it sit for a bit.  Then I lit it on fire
 The Verdict: After several attempts, I was only able to get a flame for about 5 seconds.

 I went back to the internet to see if I did something wrong and found a tutorial on YouTube

If this guy could make it work in under 4 minutes, surly so can I.

I grabbed another orange and followed his directions exactly.

I held the lighter to the stem for over a minute and all I got was a burned stem,

and a really cool indent from holding the lighter. 

 So either I just have really bad luck or the youtube guy used trick photography, or maybes he's Gandolf.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment