Thursday, September 6, 2012

All Purpose Cleaner

I have what is known as the Myers nose.  Basically, this means I have inherited an acute sense of smell comparable to a dog.  I like to think of myself as Toucan Sam, I just follow my nose.

While you may think this trait is fantastic because I can lead you to any BBQ in town or accurately point out a smelly offender in an elevator, this trait has actually been a curse.  Smells overpower me and can quickly lead to headaches.  The worse offender is cleaning supplies.

When cleaning my home I use to wear masks to try and save myself from the stench of chemicals but I usually ended up with a headache anyways.  I thought of trying DIY cleaning products but was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure if they would clean as well as the hardcore chemicals I was currently using.  A few months ago I decided to give it a try.

After some searching I decided to try the all purpose cleaner I found on this website
http://www.macheesmo.com/2011/01/four-homemade-cleaners/

All-Purpose Cleaner
- 3 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon washing soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon castile soap
- 2 Cups hot water

The Castile soap stumped me.  I had never heard of it.  Fortunately it was very easy to find at Target in the natural product section.

After 4 months of use: This was very easy and quick to make and smells great.  No more headaches for me.  The washing soda tends to settle at the bottom but a quick shake fixes that right up.

So far I am really impressed with this product.  It cleans everything, even that gunky stuff that forms around a contact lens and turns into cement. Beware of mirrors though.  This bad boy will smear mirrors with a vengeance.

 I have been using this on everything, even toilets, and so far no one has been sick.  Although, I'm still a bit skeptical about how well it is cleaning. This cleaner is going to have to prove itself through the flu season before I decide if it's a permanent keeper.





2 comments:

  1. Is washing soda different than baking soda? If so, where did you find that? I may need to give this cleaner a try to see if it helps my over-sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is different. You can find it in the laundry aisle. It's usually near the borax. It's a yellow box with the arm and hammer symbol on it.

    ReplyDelete