Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Floor Cleaner

I don't think there is anything more disguising then walking barefoot across a dirty kitchen floor.  Stepping on sticky patches of yogurt or soggy pieces of cheerios really grosses me out. 

For a long time I mopped my kitchen floor with water and Castile Soap.  It worked very well.  But now, between a larger kitchen and a tiled entry way, I have 3 times the amount of floor to mop.

My simple water and Castile Soap wasn't keeping up.  Halfway through mopping I would have to empty and refill the sink with fresh mopping solution because I was basically just pushing dirty water around the floor

I found this Floor Grease Cutter Cleaner (say that 10 times fast)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
(I used Castile Soap)
1/4 cup washing soda (There is a difference between washing soda and baking soda.  You can find the washing soda in the laundry section of most stores.)
2 gallons tap water, very warm
Directions:
1. Place all the ingredients into a bucket and mix well until sudsy.

2. Mop the area with the solution.
3. Not recommended for waxed floors--it may make the wax gunky.

I really wanted to put this to the test so I didn't mop my floor for 2 weeks.  This was really hard for me considering I mop twice a week. By the time the two weeks were done I felt like Miss Inch walking into Susan's (or Sharon?) cabin on Parent Trap with the grass and mud all over the floor.

I mixed all my ingredients in the sink then used a real state of the art (insert sarcasm) sponge head mop. (I almost typed sponge bob ha ha)

The Verdict: This is one of those homemade solutions that definitely lives up to the hype.  I have used it 4 times now and I am still amazed at how easily things come up off the floor.  I don't have to scrub as hard to get 2 day old hardened milk off the floor.  And what really blows me away is that I don't have to refill the sink with new solution.  No matter how dirty my floor is, the dirt stays in the water.

Look how dirty this water is, but for some crazy reason the dirt stayed in the sink so I was still mopping with clean solution.  My floor is so much cleaner now.

There is a down side.  It leaves streaks on the tile that are pretty noticeable in the light.  However, I'll take streaks if it means a cleaner floor. 


24 comments:

  1. Would this work well on wood floors?! I'm still trying to find a good cleaning solution for our floors, since our steam mop isn't good for the wood. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I don't know anything about wood floors and how to take care of them. I know the original poster said to not use this solution on floors that have any sort of wax on them so if your wood floors are waxed I would stay away from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be good if you can find a solution that doesn’t leave streaks on the tile floor. But, the important thing is that the floor is clean, right? Anyway, I think using washing soda instead of baking soda is a good idea. However, you should be cautious when using it, as it has a more acidic nature and can’t be ingested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, right now I am just glad that the floors get very clean. But hopefully I will find something that doesn't leave streaks on tiles. I didn't know that the washing soda is more acidic. Thank you for that information.

      Delete
  4. I was able to find good advice from your content.


    my website: rojadirecta champions league

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

    Crushed Concrete For Sale & Shoreline Restoration in FL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s good to hear that the solution you’ve come upon really works best for your situation. As for myself, I don’t usually mix several solutions. What I do is soak the tiles first with bleach, let it stand for several minutes to soften the dirt, then scrub them while adding a small amount of water to wash the dirt off the tiles. But I think your solution is really worth a try. Thanks for sharing!

    Nathan Riley @ Steemer Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate these basic kinds of posts! I use a hands-and-knees floor washer with washing powder and hot water. I know some tips from your post that is easier for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the inspiration. This article is very helpful and informative. You can also use water blaster to help you cleaning faster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the article I agree with this completely You need carpet cleaning professional and they need to use advanced equipment and insured cleaners.
    best linoleum floor cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent quality articles are here.. This is good site with useful info.
    best kitchen floor cleaner


    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your post, Great post with Nice information.. Thanks for sharing !!
    Ménage Total offre des services de nettoyage pour les secteurs commerciaux et résidentiels dans la grande région de Montréal, Laval, Longueuil Rive-Sud et Rive-Nord.
    Floor Cleaning Services Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really amazed with this article on home improvement project. I totally agree with the information and are very useful. But for home interior cleaning i would suggest products from pFOkUS. From past few days i have been using pFOkUS product - celine which is perfect stone sealer. I use it once in a week to enhance the shine on kitchen countertop and natural stone. I have faced some problems while cleaning natural stone. For deep root stain it is not possible and time consuming job, using scrubbing with vinegar and baking soda, need something powerful product. And, even using the vinegar, I found out that it is losing the natural shine of the stone tile. And I found a product Imperia deep clean, Sentura, Celine and Caponi which is an excellent product which full fill all my needs for my home improvement. They have wide range of cleaning products for shower glass, bathtub and many more.

    These products worked fine for me! Thanks for this beautiful article :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Very Nice Blog I Have Read Your Post It Is Very Informative And Useful Thanks For Posting And Sharing With Us.
    Carpet Cleaning Adelaide
    Carpet Cleaning Sunshine Coast
    Carpet Cleaning Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing such useful hacks, I am surely going to try this out for my floors. Even you can take the help of commercial cleaning companies Wellington who offers you quality cleaning services.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. Steam Mop

    ReplyDelete
  16. الان من خلال العنود يمكنكم الحصول على العديد من خدمات التنظيف و هذا من خلال مجموعتها الرائدة في مجال التنظيف و المتمثلة في شركة عزل خزانات بمكة متخصصون في عزل و تنظيف كافة أنواع الخزانات شركة تنظيف كنب مكة محترفون في التعامل مع المنسوجات و تنظيفها بالبخار الطريقة الأكثر آمانا عليها شركة تنظيف مكة الرواد في عالم تنظيف الشقق و الفلل شركة تنظيف رخام مكة بإستخدام أحدث الماكينات و أجود مواد التنظيف نوفر لكم مستوى النظافة المطلوب شركة مكافحة حشرات بمكة متخصصون في استخدام مختلف أنواع المبيدات لابادة تامة للحشرات

    ReplyDelete
  17. خصومات الان وباقل الاسعار الرائعة التى تعمل على تقدم افضل العروض الرائعة من تنظيف خزانات بالطائف التى لا مثيل لها الان وعلى اعلى مستوى ممكن وباقل الاسعار تنظيف رخام بالطائف التى نقدمة الان وعلى اعلى مستوى ممكن من نقل اثاث في الطائف التى تقدمة الشركة الان وعلى اعلى مستوى ممكن

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Informations are lit af
    Thank You very much for your informational blog about this. I was looking for a blog just like yours, Hope will get more knowledge from you in future.

    JVR Cleaning Services|House, Apartment and Office Cleaning Services- 3468017020

    Jvr home cleaning is the cleaning services you can trust we offer custom cleaning plan. That are right for your busy schedule, we are offering the house cleaning , apartment cleaning, Office cleaning

    Click here for more information:- JVR Cleaning Services


    house cleaning , home cleaning services, apartment cleaning companies, floor cleaning companies, house cleaning companies near me, office cleaning companies, room cleaning services, office cleaning services, property cleaning service


    Mobile : 3468017020

    Email : jvr.cleanmove@gmail.com

    Location : 6000 bissonnet st 77081 apart #350, Houston, Texas, USA

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... BCS Cleaning Services

    ReplyDelete