Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mod Podge

I have a confession to make, I have never used Mod Podge *GASP*

For someone who is obsessed with homemade projects you would think that I use the stuff by the gallon.  I just never had a need for it before now.

I had a photo project I wanted to do that required Mod Podge, but I only needed a little so I decided to make my own. 

Homemade Mod Podge
You Will Need:
Elmers Glue
Water
Container

Directions: Pour the glue into the jar. Now fill the empty glue container with water and pour that in the jar with the glue. Shake the jar

I mixed my glue and water and was surprised at how runny it was.  This didn't give me warm fuzzes about using it on photos so I decided to test it on a few things.  Since I have never used actual Mod Podge before, I have no idea how they compare, so I can only tell you what I thought of this.

For my photo project I was planning on gluing photos to wood so I decided to do a test run by gluing an old photo of the hubs and I, and regular paper onto a piece of wood.


Both the photo and paper went on great and they looked great but I still wasn't convinced.  I put them in my closet and left them alone for a month. Why a month you ask?  Because I forgot they were there.

The Verdict: The photo wasn't looking to good.  It had warped quite a bit, but the regular paper still looked pretty good.  A small piece on the corner popped up but that was all.

 Just out of curiosity sake I decided to try the stuff on something completely different to see how it would work. My #10 can of baby wipes was such an eye sore, so I decided to cute it up a bit with fabric

The Verdict: It's been 5 months since I used the homemade Mod Podge to put fabric on my can, and it still looks like this. It hasn't frayed or come apart at all.  That fabric is stuck to that can like a...... dang, I got nothing.  I tried to think of something clever to put there but I can't.  Anyone want to fill in the blank for me?

Since the regular paper looked pretty good, I decided to try the Mod Podge on my project since I would be printing the photos myself on thinner photo paper, and I was no longer going to use wood.  I decided to put the photos on fabric wrapped around Styrofoam

The Verdict:  No good.  This is how it looked the day after I Mod Podged the photo paper on the fabric.  If you look closely on the upper left corner you can see the color was also bleeding. 


Overall Verdict: Again, I have no idea what regular Mod Podge is typically used for or how well it works so I don't know how it compares, but it looks like this homemade stuff is a hit and miss.  Somethings the homemade Mod Podge will work great for, it and the project will get along happily. But other projects are just going to get punched in the gut.

I am planning on using it for another project I have coming up so stay tuned for that. What is your favorite thing to use Mod Podge for?


2 comments: